Can I do the work on my own home?

Yes, if you meet the following criteria:

1.  You must OWN and OCCUPY the home.

2. Complete and submit the Homeowner Declaration Form  when submitting your permit request. (You are able to be the General Contractor on your home only one (1) time every three (3) years).

3. You must successfully pass the Homeowners exam (thru MABCD) for each trade you wish to perform, and still may need to have a licensed sub-contractor to perform tasks you are not able to do. 

Call Valley Center Code Enforcement at (316) 755-7310 ext. 110 for more information.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a permit to build or remodel my home?
2. Do I need a permit to set a mobile or manufactured home in Valley Center?
3. Do I need a permit to build a fence?
4. Where can I set a mobile home in Valley Center?
5. Can I do the work on my own home?
6. I am going to put a bedroom in the basement. Do I need an escape window?
7. Can I put a window in the wall separating my house and my attached garage? How about a door with a window?
8. Do I need a permit to install a culvert?
9. Can I build a permanent structure in the utility easement?
10. When building a new residence, how many feet can the residence be from the edge of the road before a road approval is required?
11. How do I obtain a road approval?
12. What specifications are required to obtain a road approval for the road?
13. Do I need a permit to replace my furnace or water heater?
14. Do I need a permit to build or place a storage shed in my backyard?
15. Do you have any questions that are not answered in this section?
16. Who does the inspections for Valley Center?