News Flash Home
The original item was published from 12/22/2015 11:03:48 AM to 5/27/2016 11:12:50 AM.

News Flash


Posted on: August 21, 2016

[ARCHIVED] Microwave Oven Safety


-Scald burns are the leading cause of injury from microwave ovens.


--PURCHASE a mircrowave oven that has the label of an independent testing laboratory. Make sure to complete and return the product registration card. This way the manufacturer can reach you if there is a recall on the product.

--PLUG the microwave oven directly into the wall outlet--never use an extention cord.

--MAKE sure the microwave oven is at a safe height, within easy reach of all users.

--OPEN food slowly, away from the face. Hot steam or the food itself can cause burns.

--FOOD heat unevenly in microwave ovens. Stir and test before eating or giving to children.

--NEVER heat a baby bottle in the microwave. Since a microwave oven heats unevenly, it can create hot pockets, leading to burns. Warm a bottle in a bowl of warm-not hot or boiling--water, or by running it under the tap.


--Always supervise children when they are using a microwave oven.

--Use only microwave-safe food containers or dishes. Never use aluminum foil or metal in a microwave oven.

--If you have a fire in the microwave, leave the door closed, turn the oven off and unplug it from the wall. If the fire does not go out, get outside and call the fire department.

All information is referenced through the NFPA if you would like to view this site please go to or click above on department, then fire department, then useful links, and go to National Fire Protection Agency.

Facebook Twitter Email