The City of Valley Center issues all building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, water meter, well, sewer connection, septic, sign, portable sign, and fence permits within the City limits of Valley Center. The City of Valley Center does inspections on driveway approaches, water meters hookups, wells, septic systems, sewer hookups, lot grading, and occupancy. The City of Valley Center requires all contractors to be licensed with the City of Valley Center.
The City contracts with Sedgwick County to do all building, mechanical, plumbing, electrical inspections and plan review on all buildings for the City of Valley Center. Also, all new commercial buildings must be reviewed and approved by the Planning and Zoning Board before a building permit is issued.
A building permit must be obtained for any new construction as well as alterations to existing structures, whether the work is interior and exterior.
The City currently utilizes the:
- 2012 IRBC (International Residential Building Code)
- 2012 IBC (International Building Code)
- 2017 NEC (National Electric Code)
- 2015 IMC & IFGC (Intl. Mechanical Code & Intl. Fuel Gas Code)
- 2015 UPC/IPC (Uniform Plumbing Code/International Plumbing Code)
- 2012 IFC (Intl. Fire Code)
- 2018 City of Valley Center Construction Standards for Paving, Drainage, Waterline and Sanitary Sewer Improvements
Building Permit Applications
Applications for a building permit may be downloaded online and then mailed, faxed or e-mailed to:
City of Valley Center
545 W. Clay Ave.
PO Box 188
Valley Center, KS 67147
Before sending the permit application, please call (316) 755-7320 for cost of permit and to check to see if the permit address is located within the City limits of Valley Center. Every permit requires a plot plan submitted with it.