Building permits


The City of Valley Center issues all building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, water meter, well, sewer connection, septic, sign, portable sign, and fence permits within the City limits of Valley Center. The City of Valley Center does inspections on driveway approaches, water meters hookups, wells, septic systems, sewer hookups, lot grading, and occupancy. The City of Valley Center requires all contractors to be licensed with the City of Valley Center.

The City of Valley Center does all inspections for residential buildings, this includes building, mechanical, plumbing and electrical inspections. Please schedule residential inspections 24-48 hours in advance.

The City contracts with Sedgwick County to do all building, mechanical, plumbing, electrical inspections and plan review on all commercial buildings for the City of Valley Center. Also, all new commercial buildings must be reviewed and approved by the Planning and Zoning Board before a building permit is issued.

Building/Construction Standards

A building permit must be obtained for any new construction as well as alterations to existing structures, whether the work is interior and exterior.

The City currently utilizes the:
Each building permit issued requires the necessary inspections be obtained at the proper stage of the project. This program of inspections helps insure quality construction for residential as well as commercial structures in the City.

Building Permit Applications

Applications for a building permit may be downloaded online and then mailed, faxed or e-mailed to: 

City of Valley Center
545 W. Clay Ave. 
PO Box 188
Valley Center, KS 67147 
Fax: 316-755-7324
Before sending the permit application, please call (316) 755-7320 for cost of permit and to check to see if the permit address is located within the City limits of Valley Center. Every permit requires a plot plan submitted with it.